Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Have you ever encountered a word in your mother tongue that you didn’t know how to translate?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 2

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Have you ever encountered a word in your mother tongue that you didn’t know how to translate? ".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:10
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
N/A Jul 2

I translate exclusively into my mother tongue...

writeaway
Becca Resnik
Barbara Carrara
Philip Lees
Paul van Zijll
Christopher Schröder
Annette Fehr

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 09:10
English to Russian
+ ...
No Jul 2

I don't translate words. I translate meaningful phrases, paragraphs and pages also known as context.

Are you asking about a case of an allegedly non-existent single-word equivalent in English that would ensure a 100% correct translation from Russian with every nuance accounted for in every context? Such predicament is a very common thing in any pair, it may indeed be non-existent yet it makes one of the most attractive and intriguing part of our profession. But would it mean "I don
... See more
I don't translate words. I translate meaningful phrases, paragraphs and pages also known as context.

Are you asking about a case of an allegedly non-existent single-word equivalent in English that would ensure a 100% correct translation from Russian with every nuance accounted for in every context? Such predicament is a very common thing in any pair, it may indeed be non-existent yet it makes one of the most attractive and intriguing part of our profession. But would it mean "I don't know how to translate it?" Research is another part of the same profession.

Translating and deciphering poll titles is getting harder and harder
Collapse

Barbara Carrara
Philip Lees
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Ruan Rocha
Daryo

Cilian O'Tuama
Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:10
German to English
+ ...
Pretty silly Q, if I may say so. Jul 3

Wolfgang Schoene

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 17:10
Greek to English
Lots Jul 3

My vocabulary in English, my mother tongue, is huge and includes lots of obscure and useless words, gleaned from years of doing cryptic crosswords, that I would never ever need to translate and wouldn't know how to if I did. Most of them would probably have no cultural referent in my second language.

On the other hand, as others have already mentioned, I translate professionally only the other way, from Greek to English, and it's rather unusual for me to come across a Greek word tha
... See more
My vocabulary in English, my mother tongue, is huge and includes lots of obscure and useless words, gleaned from years of doing cryptic crosswords, that I would never ever need to translate and wouldn't know how to if I did. Most of them would probably have no cultural referent in my second language.

On the other hand, as others have already mentioned, I translate professionally only the other way, from Greek to English, and it's rather unusual for me to come across a Greek word that presents problems in translation.

It does happen though. I remember reading a translation of a Greek novel in which a single word had been translated into a whole paragraph of explanation, because the story wouldn't make sense otherwise.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Barbara Carrara
IrinaN
Rachel Waddington
Kay Denney

Alex Lichanow
Alex Lichanow
Germany
Member (2020)
English to German
+ ...
Other Jul 3

My mother tongue is full of words that are considered to be untranslatable. There's a reason "Schadenfreude" is simply used unchanged in English. However, I only translate INTO my mother tongue, so the question is irrelevant.

Philip Lees
Barbara Carrara
Josephine Cassar
Angie Garbarino
Luis M. Sosa

Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
Of course, privately Jul 3

I only translate into my mother tongue, too, but it happens sometimes that my French husband asks me what a German expression means, and I realise that I can only explain around it and/or give him examples of its use in context.

Liena Vijupe
MariaOG
Kay Denney
Zea_Mays

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
English to Russian
+ ...
Not just words: there are big pieces of text that should be left alone Jul 3

And if you care to translate one (which will be difficult), you should be prepared to read reviews saying how lame your translation is. Since the option of writing something that's better than the original is rarely available (unless the translator is a genius, and I don't claim to be one), it only makes sense to translate something if it makes sense to have it in translation for some solid purpose. I remember hearing a pretty famous Russian romantic song performed in English. It did sound good,... See more
And if you care to translate one (which will be difficult), you should be prepared to read reviews saying how lame your translation is. Since the option of writing something that's better than the original is rarely available (unless the translator is a genius, and I don't claim to be one), it only makes sense to translate something if it makes sense to have it in translation for some solid purpose. I remember hearing a pretty famous Russian romantic song performed in English. It did sound good, and I imagine it was well loved in its time, but the lyrics were completely changed. Like, completely. Why? Well, I guess it's because it made no sense to translate the original lyrics and fit them into the same song format: it just wouldn't be relevant to the English-speaking crowd (that song being far from the hardest of them to translate).

Languages have many words that need explanations in other languages. I once found a Greek word on KudoZ with quite a few answers offered exclusively by Greeks, and I just happened to know that word (and its Russian counterpart) as well as the teaching behind it so I could see that none of the answers conveyed the essence of it. Why? Because it doesn't exist in English. Can't see how this can pose a problem though: English can always borrow a new Greek word or two. Are language purists even a thing in the Anglosphere?

[Редактировалось 2024-07-03 10:24 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Philip Lees

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Mother tongue Jul 3

Since I'm not capable to translate on a professional level into another language than my mother tongue (in my humble opinion 99% of all translators isn't capable to do that), I would probably encounter words in my mother tongue that I don't know how to translate all the time.

Christopher Schröder
Becca Resnik

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
yes Jul 3

Examples for such words which can only be paraphrased:
Italian: ginepraio, menefreghismo
German: Torschlusspanik, Schadenfreude

An English word often hard to translate: experience

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Obviously everyone would Jul 3

I frequently encounter words in my mother tongue that I don’t even know the meaning of, so I’m not going to know how to translate them.

Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Baran Keki
Philip Lees
Kay Denney
Becca Resnik

Ruan Rocha
Ruan Rocha
Brazil
Local time: 11:10
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It happens, but there's a "but" Jul 3

Well, yeah, it happens sometimes, but, as other people have discussed about that on their answers, like, there might be a word, whether from our mother tongue whether it's not, that we don't exactly know the meaning or the equivalent to the other language, but this quest is a little deeper than that. You have to understand what's the context, the whole idea behind that word. Sometimes You don't know exactly what's the translation of that word, but if You know what the speech is about, You don't ... See more
Well, yeah, it happens sometimes, but, as other people have discussed about that on their answers, like, there might be a word, whether from our mother tongue whether it's not, that we don't exactly know the meaning or the equivalent to the other language, but this quest is a little deeper than that. You have to understand what's the context, the whole idea behind that word. Sometimes You don't know exactly what's the translation of that word, but if You know what the speech is about, You don't need to translate that word. But the phrase, the sentence, the mental frame of the meaning. Many times it is the most important of all, the way people think in that language.Collapse

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
English to Turkish
Every single word Jul 3

I wasn't taught my mother's tongue (Kurdish) because of 'safety' considerations.

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Oh I can understand Jul 3

Alex Lichanow wrote:

My mother tongue is full of words that are considered to be untranslatable. There's a reason "Schadenfreude" is simply used unchanged in English. However, I only translate INTO my mother tongue, so the question is irrelevant.

pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune?, Impossible to translate also in Italian and French

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Possible in my language Jul 3

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Alex Lichanow wrote:

pleasure derived by someone from another person's misfortune?, Impossible to translate also in Italian and French

We have a word for this in my language “zluradost”. It’s a form of (mild) passive/emotional sadism. Is this the most evil one can get? Or Machiavellianism?

I find that names of many local dishes stay the same in the target language. For instance, the Italian word “pizza”, look at this, just slight variations at times:

https://beelinguapp.com/blog/how-to-say-pizza-in-different-languages

It’s because local dishes are like brand names.

Angie Garbarino

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever encountered a word in your mother tongue that you didn’t know how to translate?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »