Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Are translators born or made?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 4

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are translators born or made?".

View the poll results »

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:01
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Made Jul 4

Translators are made after years of learning and practice.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Lieven Malaise
Mónica Algazi
Sebastian Witte
Rachel Waddington
Gerard Barry
Antonio Contreras

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:01
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Made Jul 4

Some people might be born with innate qualities that predispose them to become translators, and other people, while not naturally gifted with that ability, can acquire it. One has to have the necessary skills to become the best and put in the work to polish these skills. Whether or not talent is more important than hard work to become a proficient translator, there’s a popular saying popularized by Kevin Durant, a basketball player, which fits like a glove to our profession: “Hard work beats... See more
Some people might be born with innate qualities that predispose them to become translators, and other people, while not naturally gifted with that ability, can acquire it. One has to have the necessary skills to become the best and put in the work to polish these skills. Whether or not talent is more important than hard work to become a proficient translator, there’s a popular saying popularized by Kevin Durant, a basketball player, which fits like a glove to our profession: “Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work”…Collapse

Mónica Algazi
Elías Sauza
IrinaN
Lieven Malaise
neilmac
Yuri Larin
Antonio Contreras

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:01
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I voted "Are born" Jul 4

I voted "Are born" because of my personal experience. When I was at the university studying Veterinary Medicine, I always knew I wanted to become a translator. I dreamed of using a computer for translation work even when I had no idea how that would work. I was born to translate.

Camille Abou Jamra
Tanya Quintieri

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:01
English to Turkish
Made Jul 5

I didn't consciously choose to be a translator. Circumstances and sheer bad luck led me to this path...
It was one rainy dark November evening, I remember, when I felt that searing pain in my neck and everything before me started swimming... and that was the last time I saw the sun rise...
My maker was a 260 year old translator... I learned the cursed trade after drinking his blood, rot him.
It was 2007... since then I was condemned to darkness (burning the midnight oil), confi
... See more
I didn't consciously choose to be a translator. Circumstances and sheer bad luck led me to this path...
It was one rainy dark November evening, I remember, when I felt that searing pain in my neck and everything before me started swimming... and that was the last time I saw the sun rise...
My maker was a 260 year old translator... I learned the cursed trade after drinking his blood, rot him.
It was 2007... since then I was condemned to darkness (burning the midnight oil), confined spaces and a lack of contact with humans....
I shudder at the thought of being born into this shit.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Gerard Barry
Lieven Malaise
Barbara Carrara
Jean Dimitriadis
Kay Denney
Matthias Brombach

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Just brilliant! Jul 5

Baran Keki wrote:

It was 2007... since then I was condemned to darkness (burning the midnight oil), confined spaces and a lack of contact with humans....
I shudder at the thought of being born into this shit.

A meme came to mind:

Baran Keki
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Gerard Barry
Lieven Malaise
writeaway
Liena Vijupe

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:01
English to French
No idea Jul 5

I personally wasn't born a translator, and I'm not sure I became one.
Anyway, if man were made to sit all day long, interact in an abstract world and eat ultra-processed food, we wouldn't have this impressively well engineered body.

Philippe

Slovenian Translator
Slovenian Translator
Slovenia
German to Slovenian
+ ...
survival Jul 5

When everything goes to hell, you decide to become a translator and somehow survive...

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
N/A Jul 5

Ah, yes, the old nature versus nurture debate. All in all, I think it's a bit of both. At school, I was always told I had "a flair for languages", which probably helped.

Tanya Quintieri
Angie Garbarino
Kay Denney
Peter Shortall

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Both Jul 5

As far as I'm concerned, it's both. At least, i consider myself as one. I always liked languages and had a flair with languages but then I later became a translator, not immediately. My first job wasn't translation but then veered towards translation till I trained to become one and eventually became one.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Born Jul 5

I did not become the CR7 of translators through hard work alone.

Tanya Quintieri
Kay Denney

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:01
English to Turkish
Born/wasted talent Jul 5

Christopher Schröder wrote:

I did not become the CR7 of translators through hard work alone.

Whatever happened to Dele Alli? Why isn't he in the England squad?
Just wondering, can a translator waste their 'talent'?
After seeing your post on the other thread addressed to a certain Ph.D holder, I was also pondering the question 'will there ever be a boy born who can swim faster than a shark'.
ChatGPT is giving conflicting information on this.

Christopher Schröder
Kay Denney

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Getting wasted Jul 5

Baran Keki wrote:
Just wondering, can a translator waste their 'talent'?

Definitely. Like most people in most jobs, I spend a lot of time doing mundane tasks for which my talents are not really required.

Then again, after all these years of boozing and womanising, I’m not sure I’m up to setting the world alight every single day, so maybe doing the occasional set of swimming pool rules or instructions for opening a luggage locker is a good thing.

[Edited at 2024-07-05 10:57 GMT]

Baran Keki

Marco Catanzaro
Marco Catanzaro  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
Poll: Are translators born or made? Jul 5

Born with some skills that need to be perfectioned.

Josephine Cassar
Agnes Fatrai
Zea_Mays
Christopher Schröder
B&B FinTrans

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Maybe born Jul 5

I have two translators in my long-ago genealogy. The first was in the 1600s, a Huguenot from France who took refuge in the island of Jersey. He translated for international merchants at the time, and his son, my ancestor, emigrated to Canada.

The other, in the 1800s, was kidnapped as a child, with his brother, by an indigenous group; as older teenagers, they returned to their home in Ontario. One used his knowledge of Indian languages to be a professional interpreter for the explor
... See more
I have two translators in my long-ago genealogy. The first was in the 1600s, a Huguenot from France who took refuge in the island of Jersey. He translated for international merchants at the time, and his son, my ancestor, emigrated to Canada.

The other, in the 1800s, was kidnapped as a child, with his brother, by an indigenous group; as older teenagers, they returned to their home in Ontario. One used his knowledge of Indian languages to be a professional interpreter for the explorers and settlers of the day, most notably the British Lord Simcoe. He died (along with a judge and clerk) on a boat that capsized when he was traveling to interpret for a murder trial in a distant town.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are translators born or made?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »