Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you usually take a printed fiction book when packing for a trip?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jul 3

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you usually take a printed fiction book when packing for a trip?".

View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 15:38
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Always Jul 3

I haven’t made any trips since I moved back from Belgium to Portugal in 2015, but I used to take at least one book every time I travelled (between 2006 and 2015 I flew every fortnight between Brussels and Lisbon). Anyway, I always have a book on my nightstand (I read in bed every night), lately I have been re-reading a book by Siri Hustvedt “The Summer Without Men”.

R. Alex Jenkins
R. Alex Jenkins  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:38
Member (2006)
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Never Jul 4

Never, firstly because I rarely go on trips these days, but more importantly, because practically all fiction that I read these days, currently about 80 books per year, are digital and on my Kindle. I made that transition a number of years back and couldn't conceive going back to printed versions of books.

Ester Vidal
Jorge Payan

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Seldom Jul 4

I bought the first ever iteration of the Kindle not long after it came out and had it sent to me in Tokyo from the US (late 2008?).

During that period of my life I was still travelling extensively, usually long (minimum 6-hour) flights rather than short hops, and I was sometimes on the road for a couple of weeks at a time. I literally had no space in my luggage - which needed to be compact enough to be carried onto the plane - for several hardbacks or paperbacks. The Kindle made rea
... See more
I bought the first ever iteration of the Kindle not long after it came out and had it sent to me in Tokyo from the US (late 2008?).

During that period of my life I was still travelling extensively, usually long (minimum 6-hour) flights rather than short hops, and I was sometimes on the road for a couple of weeks at a time. I literally had no space in my luggage - which needed to be compact enough to be carried onto the plane - for several hardbacks or paperbacks. The Kindle made reading possible again. I was very grateful for it.

I still buy in paper for some books, but I'm mostly digital. I use my Paperwhite nearly every day. I can imagine scenarios in which I take a fiction book with me on holiday, but that happens so rarely these days...

Dan
Collapse

Jorge Payan

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:38
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
I pack a translation Jul 4

I often pack two books... one of which is a translation of the other. Next week I'll go away with Amanda Lovelace and a translator who is mentioned only once, on a page with other names, despite being the author of the entire book.

Edith van der Have
Edith van der Have
Netherlands
Member (2016)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Always a printed book ... Jul 4

... but non-fiction most of the times.

Barbara Carrara

Barbara Carrara
Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Genre discrimination Jul 4

Why fiction?
Would one not be allowed to read other genres when going on a trip?

Back to the question at hand (haven't voted in the poll, though), for personal reasons, I haven't travelled within Italy or abroad in ages, alas. But if I had or if I ever travel again, books would be and essential part of my luggage.

In any case, I am partial to physical books, as I like to take notes and underline passages in pencil while reading.
One cannot beat the beauty
... See more
Why fiction?
Would one not be allowed to read other genres when going on a trip?

Back to the question at hand (haven't voted in the poll, though), for personal reasons, I haven't travelled within Italy or abroad in ages, alas. But if I had or if I ever travel again, books would be and essential part of my luggage.

In any case, I am partial to physical books, as I like to take notes and underline passages in pencil while reading.
One cannot beat the beauty of handling paper, and the smell of books. And graphite.

While I appreciate their usefulness, e-book devices―or smartphones, for that matter―have no appeal for me.

[Edited at 2024-07-04 17:55 GMT]
Collapse

ipv
Kay Denney

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
No, nowadys no Jul 4

No, now I take my Kindle. I have no more space at home where to store books in print form, unfortunately and I'd like to keep the ones I have, including university books and notes. I'm a hoarder.

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
French to English
A pedant writes.... Jul 4

If the question asks "do you usually....?" and your answer is "always", that still essentially means "usually", right?

(As in: I usually always wash my hands before eating..... but I might forget. That kind of thing)

Barbara Carrara
Liena Vijupe
Kay Denney
Christopher Schröder

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Not really Jul 4

I try to pack small. I have Kindle and iPad if I need to read. However, the last thing I want during my trips is - more content and more reading.

Jorge Payan

Francesca Grandinetti
Francesca Grandinetti
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
Always Jul 4

Couple of them at least.

Christopher Schröder

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
. Jul 4

I always take paper books, I have no kindle. I don't want yet another device with a charger that will need to hog an electrical outlet, often in short supply in places frequented by travellers.

I recently travelled to Germany and got through a book and a couple of magazines. It's so more relaxing to read on paper after working on the computer all day/year.

Yes books are heavy, but I'm trying now to divest myself of them. Last year I left a couple of books in the hotel
... See more
I always take paper books, I have no kindle. I don't want yet another device with a charger that will need to hog an electrical outlet, often in short supply in places frequented by travellers.

I recently travelled to Germany and got through a book and a couple of magazines. It's so more relaxing to read on paper after working on the computer all day/year.

Yes books are heavy, but I'm trying now to divest myself of them. Last year I left a couple of books in the hotel library, complete with my notes should anyone be interested.
Collapse

Agnes Fatrai
Zea_Mays
Barbara Carrara
Christopher Schröder

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:38
English to Turkish
. Jul 4

Kay Denney wrote:
I recently travelled to Germany

I knew that woman I saw among the English fans after Bellingham's goal looked familiar...

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 09:38
English to Russian
+ ...
In a way Jul 4

I always buy one book to take home from another country, either in Russian or English/English translation of a local author. Murakami from Japan, for example. Best souvenirs ever, nice hard-cover editions, and I would start reading it on a long haul flight. Never on vacations or a domestic trip, where Kindle is the guy. I have to be conscious of my space, it's not huge and I already have an international classical collection brought decades ago from St. Petersburg.

My outbound carry
... See more
I always buy one book to take home from another country, either in Russian or English/English translation of a local author. Murakami from Japan, for example. Best souvenirs ever, nice hard-cover editions, and I would start reading it on a long haul flight. Never on vacations or a domestic trip, where Kindle is the guy. I have to be conscious of my space, it's not huge and I already have an international classical collection brought decades ago from St. Petersburg.

My outbound carry-on is topped-up without books as I must think of possible luggage loss/delay and have minimal reserves with me. On the way home I don't care and stuff everything in a suitcase, leaving plenty of room for a book and some duty free shopping:-)

[Edited at 2024-07-04 16:08 GMT]
Collapse

Alexandra Speirs
Alexandra Speirs  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
paper and electronic Jul 4

Just back from a weekend in Milan, I had both a "real" book and a tablet with the Kindle app.
By the way, I find that the app on the tablet works much better than the Kindle book that my husband uses.
Our family shares paper books, from Scotland to Italy, Austria and Switzerland, so there is always something on the go.
In Milan I finished the book I got from my brother-in-law, but I still had plenty to read on the tablet.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you usually take a printed fiction book when packing for a trip?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »