Epameinondas Soufleros
Epameinondas Soufleros  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 23:52
Member (2008)
English to Greek
+ ...
Perhaps they'll do it like Microsoft Office Aug 25, 2023

Perhaps they'll change their model to mimic what Microsoft does with Office.

You can either buy, say, Office 2021 and pay once, or Office 365 and pay yearly. When Office 2024 comes, you'll most likely be enticed by the new features and be tempted to pay for a new perpetual license. At that point, you might realise that you would have paid almost the same amount of money with a 365 subscription during the course of three years, with the added benefit of continuous updates.

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:52
Danish to English
+ ...
Microsoft Aug 25, 2023

The subscription model looks like Microsoft's model, but memoQ hasn't said anything about ending the perpetual licence + annual SMA (not offered by MS) model, so the subscription option looks like a (not very interesting) alternative, not a replacement.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
My bet Aug 26, 2023

Epameinondas Soufleros wrote:

I think they might be onto something big.

They will probably introduce some AI technology, I guess.

Erik-Martin Jansen Hesshaus
Erik-Martin Jansen Hesshaus  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:52
Dutch to Spanish
Well Sep 24, 2023

I have not renewed my license for 6 years, now if I 'd resuscribe they are asking me 864 euros (6x144) before I can use there latest version. Not totally sure about this model... I could just start from zero at 720 euro.... 🤷‍♂️

[Edited at 2023-09-24 17:38 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Christel Zipfel
Wolfgang Schoene

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Italian
Same here... Sep 25, 2023

Erik-Martin Jansen Hesshaus wrote:

I have not renewed my license for 6 years, now if I 'd resuscribe they are asking me 864 euros (6x144) before I can use there latest version. Not totally sure about this model... I could just start from zero at 720 euro.... 🤷‍♂️

[Edited at 2023-09-24 17:38 GMT]

In my case, they wanted 1.200EUR, when you can buy a new version for half the price. Still, I think they are shooting themselves in the foot by asking such an exorbitant price. But I guess agencies are their target now. The model these days is for agencies to give you a license and work online - which sucks, since you can't use your resources.

Erik-Martin Jansen Hesshaus
Alex Reckless
Wolfgang Schoene

Wolfgang Schoene
Wolfgang Schoene  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 22:52
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Buy? Sep 25, 2023

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:

In my case, they wanted 1.200EUR, when you can buy a new version for half the price.

I'm afraid you cannot buy this software, you have to pay for a user licence. Big difference!

[Edited at 2023-09-25 15:04 GMT]

Alex Reckless
Alex Reckless
United Kingdom
German to English
New pricing? Jul 1

Hi everyone,

I'm bringing this topic back from the dead, as the main agency I work for has taken the ***** decision to move absolutely all clients and all work over to memoQ.

Unlike most agencies, however, they will NOT pay for the license (i.e. I cannot log onto their server and use their license for free, I have to buy my own).

So to my question: if I buy a 1-year subscription, can I continue to use memoq after that one year? Or do I need to buy a perpetu
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm bringing this topic back from the dead, as the main agency I work for has taken the ***** decision to move absolutely all clients and all work over to memoQ.

Unlike most agencies, however, they will NOT pay for the license (i.e. I cannot log onto their server and use their license for free, I have to buy my own).

So to my question: if I buy a 1-year subscription, can I continue to use memoq after that one year? Or do I need to buy a perpetual license for that? I have zero interest in their so-called "support", so just want the application itself.

The standard annual subscription fee is €435, which strikes me as absolutely ludicrous, given what is on offer (I've been using memoq for years and am not really crazy about the interface or functionality) and the price of other, far more established CAT tools.

Any input??
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
If you keep your support/maintenance subscription up to date, it's only around on €172/year. Jul 2

Alex Reckless wrote:

Hi everyone,

So to my question: if I buy a 1-year subscription, can I continue to use memoq after that one year? Or do I need to buy a perpetual license for that? I have zero interest in their so-called "support", so just want the application itself.

The standard annual subscription fee is €435, which strikes me as absolutely ludicrous, given what is on offer (I've been using memoq for years and am not really crazy about the interface or functionality) and the price of other, far more established CAT tools.

Any input??

If you make sure to keep your support/maintenance subscription up to date, it's only around on €172 a year, which strikes me as very fair.

I've tried every CAT tool under the sun, over many, many years, and memoQ remains my daily driver, so I might be slightly biased. However, if you ask me, there isn’t really a CAT tool that is better at the moment. Trados Studio, e.g., is a buggy disaster. Wordfast is crap. Déjà Vu Vu is dead. CafeTRan is cool, but I need a functioning preview system for large, multi-document projects. All the online cat tools are garbage.

The only thing that really bugs me about memoQ is it's slightly slow grid when scrolling. Apart from that it's rock solid and brimming with clever/useful features.

Thomas T. Frost

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
memoQ Jul 2

You should be able to use the web tool memoQweb, which is free.

You can keep using the software in perpetuity after having paid for an initial licence, but you obviously won't get updates after one year. This means that if you buy it now, you will be entitled to any version up to version 11 and anything released during your one year. If your client upgrades to server version 12 later, it will still work, but a server-desktop version difference of more than 1 is not supported, so if
... See more
You should be able to use the web tool memoQweb, which is free.

You can keep using the software in perpetuity after having paid for an initial licence, but you obviously won't get updates after one year. This means that if you buy it now, you will be entitled to any version up to version 11 and anything released during your one year. If your client upgrades to server version 12 later, it will still work, but a server-desktop version difference of more than 1 is not supported, so if the server is later upgraded to version 13, you would need either to pay again for a full licence or to back pay the support/upgrade gap years since you last paid.

Their support isn't 'so-called' but actual support. Just for the record.

The licence cost seems to be in line with other major CAT tools, and memoQ is the second-most used after Trados, but I would be just as upset if a client migrated to software I didn't know.

I just pay the upgrade/support fee, and then I regularly get new features, but each to his own.
Collapse

Alex Reckless
Alex Reckless
United Kingdom
German to English
Update Jul 3

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Please allow to ask my question again:

If I want to use memoq indefinitely, can I buy a 1-year subscription and then just carry on using it after that one year (obviously without support or any further updates)?

OR

Do I need to buy a perpetual license if I want to use the software indefinitely (obviously without support or any further updates after the first year)?
... See more
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Please allow to ask my question again:

If I want to use memoq indefinitely, can I buy a 1-year subscription and then just carry on using it after that one year (obviously without support or any further updates)?

OR

Do I need to buy a perpetual license if I want to use the software indefinitely (obviously without support or any further updates after the first year)?

I have sent several mails to the memoq sales team e-mail address on their website, but have not heard anything back in over a week. This in itself does not fill me with condifence. Normally, sales teams jump to attention when they realise you want to spend hundreds of euros!

Thanks in advance.

[Edited at 2024-07-03 12:48 GMT]
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Already answered Jul 3

As I said, you can keep using the software in perpetuity once you have paid an initial licence, which comes with a one-year support and upgrade subscription.

You cannot just buy a subscription without having an initial licence.

However, this does not mean that an old version will keep working with newer server versions above a major version difference of 1, as I explained.

If you have a client that uses a memoQ server, you will effectively need a subscript
... See more
As I said, you can keep using the software in perpetuity once you have paid an initial licence, which comes with a one-year support and upgrade subscription.

However, this does not mean that an old version will keep working with newer server versions above a major version difference of 1, as I explained.

If you have a client that uses a memoQ server, you will effectively need a subscription in addition to the initial version if you don't want to or can't use the web interface memoQweb.

Of course, you could keep your initial version and only buy a new licence once your old version no longer works with the server, hoping that it will be cheaper than having a subscription, but you need to keep in mind that to hope to save a few quid, you will end up using old software without support when something goes wrong and without access to the most recent improvements. This would be false economy in my opinion.

The best way to talk to the memoQ team is via helpcenter.memoq.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Their sales team can be a bit lethargic, I agree, but technical support is not, particularly when a problem is really urgent.
Collapse

Michael Beijer

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
agree: https://helpcenter.memoq.com/hc/en-us/requests/new = best way to get an answer fast Jul 3

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

If you have a client that uses a memoQ server, you will effectively need a subscription in addition to the initial version if you don't want to or can't use the web interface memoQweb.

Of course, you could keep your initial version and only buy a new licence once your old version no longer works with the server, hoping that it will be cheaper than having a subscription, but you need to keep in mind that to hope to save a few quid, you will end up using old software without support when something goes wrong and without access to the most recent improvements. This would be false economy in my opinion.

The best way to talk to the memoQ team is via helpcenter.memoq.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. Their sales team can be a bit lethargic, I agree, but technical support is not, particularly when a problem is really urgent.

Alex Reckless
Alex Reckless
United Kingdom
German to English
Update? Jul 3

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Thanks, but I am still not clear on the annual sub vs. the perpetual license (no price is given for a perpetual license on the website).

I understand that if I buy a perpetual license, I would only need to pay the annual maintenance fee (€160 or whatever it is) for the support and updates, whereas the annual sub is around €435 (every year).

So if I buy the 1-year license and sub, will memoq still work after that first year has expired or not? In other words, will I no longer have access to the software unless I pay again for another 365 days?

I'm really trying to be as clear as I can.

[Edited at 2024-07-03 13:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-07-03 14:04 GMT]

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Options Jul 3

Alex Reckless wrote:

Thanks, but I am still not clear on the annual sub vs. the perpetual license (no price is given for a perpetual license on the website).

I understand that if I buy a perpetual license, I would only need to pay the annual maintenance fee (€160 or whatever it is) for the support and updates, whereas the annual sub is around €435 (every year).

So if I buy the 1-year license and sub, will memoq still work after that first year has expired or not? In other words, will I no longer have access to the software unless I pay again for another 365 days?

They explain the subscription and licence options at memoq.com/faq-frequently-asked-questions-memoq-translator-pro.

I had forgotten that a couple of years ago, they launched a new no-obligation subscription that you can pay monthly or annually (i.e. just a periodic subscription without a perpetual licence), but which ends up being quite expensive in the long term. This option will stop working at the end of the subscription period.

'An annual subscription for 360 EUR/ 400 USD (+ VAT, if applicable).'
'A monthly subscription for 40 EUR / 45 USD (+ VAT if applicable).'

I don't recommend that. The pricing is geared towards short-term or occasional use. It would be like using an Airbnb as your home.

What I do myself is this:

'If you purchase a perpetual license, it is yours forever. Included in your perpetual license, you receive 4 hours of assistance with our Support Team and a single year-long access to new memoQ version releases. After one year, you will need to renew your SMA to continue accessing new features and support.
If you choose a yearly subscription, there are no additional costs for support and maintenance. Pay your yearly fee and access all the memoQ translator pro features as well as the latest updates and free support.'

'One year of SMA costs 144 EUR/164 USD.'

'Where can I buy a license?'
'Via our webshop.'

'Please find our purchase guide here.'

'We run regular campaigns to support linguists and freelancers. If you signed up for our regular email updates, you will receive email notifications about discount campaigns once they occur. Also make sure to follow memoQ on Facebook to be notified about updates!'

Sometimes you can find promotions on proz.com/tgb , but they are not always cheaper than buying from the source.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes, it is a bit confusing as they recently changed things. Jul 3

Alex Reckless wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

[Edited at 2024-07-03 13:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2024-07-03 14:04 GMT]

Yes, it is a bit confusing as they recently changed things.

Whereas they used to have only the "Perpetual license and Support and Maintenance Agreement (SMA)", they recently added an "Annual memoQ translator pro subscription" and a "Monthly memoQ translator pro subscription".

I must admit that I don't fully understand the different variants myself, SMA vs annual/monthly subscription.

It says the annual subscription starts from €360.00/year. However, I only pay around €150 a year for my SMA, so I don't understand why anyone would get an annual subscription. The monthly subscription is even more expensive, working out at €480/year (@ €40/month). I do know that if you stop paying your SMA for one year, and you want to continue it the next year, they make you catch up and pay the missing years. However, if you pay your SMA yearly it seems to work out cheaper than having an annual subscription.

Most of this is clearly explained here: https://www.memoq.com/faq-frequently-asked-questions-memoq-translator-pro

memoQ-SMA

memoQ-subscription

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ support - still good (or alive)?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »