Rosetta online translation software: word count - Help!
Thread poster: Mara Campbell
Mara Campbell
Mara Campbell
Argentina
Local time: 06:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 4, 2010

Hi! Any users of Rosetta, the online CAT tool, around?

A client wants me to give them an estimate for a translation and the source text is in Rosetta "format" (probably not the appropriate term), meaning it's on a website. I can't seem to be able to download the text in order to produce a word count, and there are like 55 pages of term lists, so I can't copy-paste everything on to a Word document.

Anybody out there knows a way to "grab" the text and/or estimate the amou
... See more
Hi! Any users of Rosetta, the online CAT tool, around?

A client wants me to give them an estimate for a translation and the source text is in Rosetta "format" (probably not the appropriate term), meaning it's on a website. I can't seem to be able to download the text in order to produce a word count, and there are like 55 pages of term lists, so I can't copy-paste everything on to a Word document.

Anybody out there knows a way to "grab" the text and/or estimate the amount of words to be translated?

Thanks for your help and have a great 2010!

Mara
Collapse

Brand Localization
Brand Localization
Egypt
Local time: 12:34
German to Arabic
+ ...
Did you try download software? Jan 4, 2010

Did you try download software like Teleport Pro or Website ripper copier?

Mara Campbell
Mara Campbell
Argentina
Local time: 06:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'll try it! Jan 4, 2010

Arabic Translation Team wrote:

Did you try download software like Teleport Pro or Website ripper copier?

I don't know them, but I'll definitely take a good look at them! Thanks for the idea.

Best,
Mara

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:34
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Launchpad Jan 5, 2010

Mara Campbell wrote:
Any users of Rosetta, the online CAT tool, around?

Do you mean Launchpad Rosetta?

A client wants me to give them an estimate for a translation and the source text is in Rosetta "format" (probably not the appropriate term), meaning it's on a website.

If it is Launchpad, then the source format is Gettext PO. You need to log in to Rosetta and "request" the files. The web site will then e-mail the files to you, after a short delay, if I remember correctly. It can be confusing and it is possible to download a branch instead of the whole tree by mistake, so it may be better to ask the client to send you the files, zipped.

Typically, there will not be a single PO file but several (even hundreds) and these files can potentially be in subdirectories. You would have to deliver the translation in the same format -- in separate files and in their separate subdirectories.

Virtaal can be used to translate PO files, if the files are in UTF-8N. Other CAT tools can also handle PO files. You can convert between UTF-8Y and UTF-8N using Okapi Rainbow. Virtaal can open only one file at a time, and doesn't have a built-in file explorer, so if you want to do a word count, you can use pocount from the Translate Toolkit (again, UTF-8N is required). After you've done all the translations, run pocount again to see if you have missed any files.

http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/virtaal/index
http://okapi.sourceforge.net/downloads.html
http://sourceforge.net/projects/translate/files/Translate%20Toolkit/
http://translate.sourceforge.net/wiki/toolkit/pocount

Samuel

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rosetta online translation software: word count - Help!

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »