Birmingham Conference 2010: an event truly made for the benefit of the community
Thread poster: Hacene
Hacene
Hacene  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:06
English to French
+ ...
Mar 17, 2010

Dear all,

Several members of the community have asked me if the Birmingham conference was just a sales pitch.

The theme of the conference is to see what tools are available to the industry so that we can keep our competitive edge, better understand the needs of our professional partners and increase our productivity.

We are first and foremost linguists trying to make a living in a fast-paced industry. Each time we are dealing with a new client or demand, w
... See more
Dear all,

Several members of the community have asked me if the Birmingham conference was just a sales pitch.

The theme of the conference is to see what tools are available to the industry so that we can keep our competitive edge, better understand the needs of our professional partners and increase our productivity.

We are first and foremost linguists trying to make a living in a fast-paced industry. Each time we are dealing with a new client or demand, we might need to know what is currently available to us in terms of tools to make our job easier, faster while preserving the quality.

The workshops format, despite being mostly run by software vendors or official trainers, is to try to present a generic overview of the market, while enabling you to ask the questions that most concern you. It is not because you are learning about a specific tool that you MUST buy it, far from it. On the contrary, this will broaden your understanding of the tools used, possibly help you using yours better and eventually give you the means to handle specific situations when dealing with clients who might be using this tool.

My only regret is that it cannot be comprehensive as there are so many tools available to us.

So, with this interactive format, you cannot be and must not be passive. It is YOUR conference and you must ask the questions that really matter to you.

We all work so hard to be able to offer you the best conference possible, the one that would address your needs and the one that you will be able to truly tailor according to your interests.

I have been working for over a year on this event, 3 months to find the most adapted venue, and many hours I could have spent doing some translation work to offer this gift to the community. The ProZ.com staff also did a tremendous amount of work to provide the community with a different conference. Just look at the booking platform. For the first time, you can truly create a conference customized for your needs, select your social events and all details in a few clicks, leaving you with only booking your flight, finding a hotel and coming to the conference.

All this would not be worth it for a sales pitch.

Thank you for your understanding.

Kind regards,

Hacène

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2010-07-24 19:20 GMT]
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Birmingham Conference 2010: an event truly made for the benefit of the community

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »