Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Being a freelance translator has been ...
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:58
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Much more than "just a job" Aug 31, 2016

After 30 years in the market and 50 years of age, I realize I should have made the option of being a freelance translator much earlier than I did. All in-house jobs I had were more harmful than useful. Despite all I learned as an entrepreneur, a businessman, and a business manager, which was very useful and constructive, the disadvantages of being an employee explored by the companies, the bosses and the government are far more representative.

JODIE DODGSON
JODIE DODGSON  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:58
English to French
+ ...
Good answer Aug 31, 2016

neilmac wrote:

... enough to keep me too busy to think of a decent response to this poll.

Couldn't say it better!

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:58
Spanish to English
+ ...
My Dream Since I Was 16 Sep 1, 2016

I think I actually decided that my life's work would be that of a translator when one day, while in the language lab, with the entire Spanish II class listening in on their headphones, my Spanish teacher asked me to read my translation of several English-language paragraphs (into Spanish).

Alls she siad when I was finished was "excelente" and nothing more, not even a single correction.

That was when I realized that I had an aptitude for the activity, and I also was awar
... See more
I think I actually decided that my life's work would be that of a translator when one day, while in the language lab, with the entire Spanish II class listening in on their headphones, my Spanish teacher asked me to read my translation of several English-language paragraphs (into Spanish).

Alls she siad when I was finished was "excelente" and nothing more, not even a single correction.

That was when I realized that I had an aptitude for the activity, and I also was aware that I had actually enjoyed doing the translation the night before, more than anything else I ever had to do for any Spanish class up till then, such as vocabulary exercises and verb conjugations.

[Edited at 2016-09-01 02:17 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-09-01 02:18 GMT]
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Requested by user.
Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Being a freelance translator has been ...

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »