Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you encourage your own children to learn other languages?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:35
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Aug 17, 2016

I don't have children, but I encourage my nieces and nephews to learn languages because they can widen their access to information and culture.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:35
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes, of course! Aug 17, 2016

And believe me, the earlier you do that, the best results you'll get. I'm talking about 5 year-olds here. They learn it fast an accuratley. The older they get, the harder it gets.

I notice there certain places in the world where children are not really motivated to learn a foreign language or, actually, anything beyond their own culture and territory. But that has been changing fast in the past decades, and it's a lot different and better today than it was in the 1980's. The whole w
... See more
And believe me, the earlier you do that, the best results you'll get. I'm talking about 5 year-olds here. They learn it fast an accuratley. The older they get, the harder it gets.

I notice there certain places in the world where children are not really motivated to learn a foreign language or, actually, anything beyond their own culture and territory. But that has been changing fast in the past decades, and it's a lot different and better today than it was in the 1980's. The whole world is changing, and everyone has to follow the tendencies or be somehow excluded.

In Brazil, since the 1960's, a foreign language is mandatory as of the 5th grade, and the tests to be admitted in college, to work in public institutions, and others include a foreign language. I studied in some of these "places" I mention above, and I noted it is perfeclty possible to graduate from high-school, and later from college, without knowing a word in a foreign language. How great is that in a highly globalized world? And believe me, although this is changing a lot, there are still many "closed" cultures in many countries around the world. The experience I had was only one example.

[Edited at 2016-08-17 20:58 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 05:35
Member (2006)
German to English
Other Aug 17, 2016

Encourage them?
They are brought up trilingual and have their own interest in languages.+
If they want to learn more, then we will support them

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 21:35
French to Spanish
+ ...
Yes... Aug 18, 2016

...my 4 childrens are bilingual Spanish/French, they learn/ed English at school and are interested in Catalan. We all love languages, so they do their own job about it... not too difficult to encourage them.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you encourage your own children to learn other languages?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »