Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: If you could change your working language pair(s), which of these would you choose?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Denise DeVries
Denise DeVries  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:33
Spanish to English
+ ...
I'm happy with the languages I chose to learn. May 15, 2016

Doan Quang wrote:

neilmac wrote:

I'm perfectly happy with my current working pair.

Oh, yes! I'm perfectly happy with my current working pair (English into Vietnamese).

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:33
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree and disagree May 16, 2016

Mario Freitas wrote:

Aren't less competition and more lucrative options the same?

The options do not consider the balance between supply and demand. Increasing the supply without the corresponding demand is pure waste. So what really matters is the demand for the pair, not how rare or pleasant it is. You would certainly be sort of exclusive if you translated from Arabic to Swahilli. But how much work would you be able to get as compared to German-English or Japanese-English?

Competition is proportional to the demand. What you have to do is to become more competent, offer better quality, overcome the competition, whatever your pair is. The best professionals are always busy and well remunerated. The incompetent ones are always watching TV and fooling around in social networks.

I voted for a language with less competition, but Mario wisely points out that there has to be sufficient demand to make it worthwhile. The Scandinavian languages might be a good example, and since I am half Norwegian it would make sense for me to learn the language well and translate it. But it wouldn't be worth switching to a pair for which there is little demand.

Though I am stronger in Portuguese-English, for which there is less demand, I get most of my work for Spanish into English, where the demand is much greater even though the competition is greater as well.

---

About incompetency and fooling around, the remark was uncalled-for and makes no sense.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Paula Durrosier
Paula Durrosier  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
Please keep the discussion in line with rules May 16, 2016

Hi all,

Please remember that the discussion should be kept within site rules, specially rule #2, http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/2#2

Thanks for your cooperation and participation!

Best regards,

Paula

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 10:33
English to Thai
+ ...
Better information on a new language pair Aug 24, 2016

ProZ.com Staff wrote:

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "If you could change your working language pair(s), which of these would you choose?".

View the poll results »

I confess that I started my language pair of EN>TH but I earned a lot from JP>EN or EN>TH pair. Now I concentrate on EN>TH pair since I can read of many many latest information from what I translate or interpret. My JPEN, TH pair also killed my lingual flexibility since Japanese is used only in the Islands of Japan while English is used globally.

Soonthon L.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If you could change your working language pair(s), which of these would you choose?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »