Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many days off do you generally take per week?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 13:45
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Thou speakest of what? Nov 9, 2015

With Anthony on this one

Anthony Baldwin wrote:

Basically, If there's work available, I'm working.

I'd rather be moaning about too much work than screaming and pulling my hair out about too little.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:45
English to Spanish
+ ...
What a chiropractor told me once Nov 9, 2015

Chris has a point. It reminds me of what a chiropractor once told me, in essence:

“I have a few patients from your company, they're software developers or engineers, and work more than 40-50 hours a week. Is it worth abusing your body and health just to make $20,000 more a year?”

That was back in 1998.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:45
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
My thoughts Nov 9, 2015

Julian Holmes wrote:

With Anthony on this one

Anthony Baldwin wrote:

Basically, If there's work available, I'm working.

I'd rather be moaning about too much work than screaming and pulling my hair out about too little.

I take a day or two off whenever there's no work - which seldom happens.

Al Zaid
Al Zaid
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
As many days as I can... Nov 9, 2015

which fortunately aren't so many.
Normally I work Sunday to Friday and the occasional Saturday. Or I may work for 2-3 weeks straight if there's a project or a high work load that makes it worth the effort. Then I take some time off and boy... do I make the most out of it.
Being a freelance means I get to administer my time, but I'm a creature of habits, so I religiously get up early and start working and close shop
... See more
which fortunately aren't so many.
Normally I work Sunday to Friday and the occasional Saturday. Or I may work for 2-3 weeks straight if there's a project or a high work load that makes it worth the effort. Then I take some time off and boy... do I make the most out of it.
Being a freelance means I get to administer my time, but I'm a creature of habits, so I religiously get up early and start working and close shop as early as deadlines allow.
Collapse

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
Hate to let down regulars Nov 9, 2015

Since setting up my new website I have been rather snowed under with new clients. Not being one to let down my regulars I have taken on more work than usual, which has necessitated working later in the evenings and at weekends. I prefer to finish off as much as possible up front as you never know what tomorrow might bring.

However, I do offset this with my hobbies and take longer breaks during the day if at all possible.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Other Nov 9, 2015

In the last job I had before I went self-employed, I worked four days a week and then had Fri-Sun off. Brilliant arrangement. It was like having a mini holiday every single week of the year PLUS the standard 6 weeks that Danish employees are entitled to, plus about 10 public holidays per year. I worked out that I worked less days than I had off in the course of a year. Almost 200 days off work in a year. Not bad at all.

I don't take that number of full days off now, although I prefe
... See more
In the last job I had before I went self-employed, I worked four days a week and then had Fri-Sun off. Brilliant arrangement. It was like having a mini holiday every single week of the year PLUS the standard 6 weeks that Danish employees are entitled to, plus about 10 public holidays per year. I worked out that I worked less days than I had off in the course of a year. Almost 200 days off work in a year. Not bad at all.

I don't take that number of full days off now, although I prefer not to work weekends and public holidays. But I don't work nearly as many hours as I used to, so what does that mean? That now I have more than 200 days off in a year? Not really sure...

I work when there is work to be done, and do the things I'd much rather do the rest of the time. That's why I went self-employed. To turn 'work' into a secondary thing in my life, i.e. the thing that pays my bills and enables me to pursue other dreams the rest of the time.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:45
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I love this forum! Nov 9, 2015

People always tend to show a perfect life and a perfect profile, and build on that image of the great professional for everyone else to see and go "wow! I wish I could do that!"
Days off for a freelance translator are the days when they don't have work to do. I don't think there are exceptions here.

Oleksandr Bereza
Oleksandr Bereza  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 07:45
English to Russian
+ ...
Other - N/A Nov 9, 2015

Mario Freitas wrote:

People always tend to show a perfect life and a perfect profile, and build on that image of the great professional for everyone else to see and go "wow! I wish I could do that!"
Days off for a freelance translator are the days when they don't have work to do. I don't think there are exceptions here.

Dear Mario,

Don’t you ever decline the job just to spend some time with your family/friends?
I think that this is the main advantage of a freelancer.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:45
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Almost none Nov 10, 2015

I recently worked 180 days without a single break. I often have 2 or 3 jobs waiting in my inbox, so I rarely get a chance to take time off. Of course, if I had a family I would make the time.

My dogs lie patiently on the floor beside me, waiting for me to come up for air.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 01:45
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Of course, Alex Nov 11, 2015

Alex Bereza wrote:

Mario Freitas wrote:

Dear Mario,

Don’t you ever decline the job just to spend some time with your family/friends?
I think that this is the main advantage of a freelancer.

Of course I do, Alex. But you cannot consider it standard days-off if you do it every now and then. Considering the standard situation, days off for freelancers are days with no work. These very occasional days we take off to spend some time with the family are exceptions.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many days off do you generally take per week?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »