How to become an established translator?
Thread poster: Marlen Serikbay
Marlen Serikbay
Marlen Serikbay
Kazakhstan
Local time: 05:59
English to Kazakh
+ ...
Jun 16

I started my ProZ account only recently, but I have been working as a translator on freelance websites for quite a while(1.5 years). I rarely get any job opportunities, although sure of my language qualification. Currently I offer services in 3 languages: English, Russian and Kazakh. I'm native to both Kazakh and Russian. About to get my translator bachelor's degree next year.
Are there any issues with my Profile or CV? Is there something I need to improve to be a more viable option for p
... See more
I started my ProZ account only recently, but I have been working as a translator on freelance websites for quite a while(1.5 years). I rarely get any job opportunities, although sure of my language qualification. Currently I offer services in 3 languages: English, Russian and Kazakh. I'm native to both Kazakh and Russian. About to get my translator bachelor's degree next year.
Are there any issues with my Profile or CV? Is there something I need to improve to be a more viable option for potential employers? How can I become someone more, than just a general-purpose translator?
As I view translation as the way I want to earn my living, I naturally want to get as many opportunities to improve before finishing my degree. I'd like to hear opinions and suggestions from you, what should I do to reach my goals? Thank you all in advance
Collapse

Vijay Anand

Michael Hughes
Michael Hughes  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:59
Member (2022)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Translation agencies in Russian-speaking countries and Kazakhstan Jun 19

Have you tried applying to as many translation agencies as you can find in Russia, Kazakhstan and other Russian-speaking countries? I don't know what the demand is like in your language pairs, but I would have thought they would have a lot more work available than what you can find on Fiverr and Upwork.

Christine Andersen
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Marlen Serikbay

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Local time: 02:59
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Experience Jun 20

You are very young, thus inexperienced, and you haven't yet finished your degree. So how good do you think you can be at this point? Let me tell you: not exactly at your top.

I don't want to discourage you. Following a translator's bachelor is a very good idea. But you should learn to walk first firt, before you start to run.

After your studies, try to find an inhouse position. If a lot of translators fail, then that's probably got a lot to do with the fact that they st
... See more
You are very young, thus inexperienced, and you haven't yet finished your degree. So how good do you think you can be at this point? Let me tell you: not exactly at your top.

I don't want to discourage you. Following a translator's bachelor is a very good idea. But you should learn to walk first firt, before you start to run.

After your studies, try to find an inhouse position. If a lot of translators fail, then that's probably got a lot to do with the fact that they start to freelance unprepared. So learn the trics of the trade first. Good luck.
Collapse

Rachel Waddington
Zea_Mays
Alba Gila
Michael Hughes
Kay Denney
Jorge Payan

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Show some areas of expertise or interest on your profile Jun 20

I know very little about your language pairs, but in general, you need to make yourself visible on this site, so outsourcers can find you.

In particular, you need to add some more keywords to the bottom line of your profile, if you can.
Customers look for subject areas - what do you know about? Hobbies and family background may be fine if you know the special language used from the inside!
What subject areas have you studied? Have you worked in a special subject area? Be
... See more
I know very little about your language pairs, but in general, you need to make yourself visible on this site, so outsourcers can find you.

In particular, you need to add some more keywords to the bottom line of your profile, if you can.
Customers look for subject areas - what do you know about? Hobbies and family background may be fine if you know the special language used from the inside!
What subject areas have you studied? Have you worked in a special subject area? Be careful if you don´t know the special language and technical terminology, but if you know your own limits you can start carefully. After all, that is the only way to gather experience. Press releases and information to the general public may be a way in.

What kinds of texts do you hope to translate? Imagine you are a customer looking for a translator: What would you look for? Add the search terms to the keywords at the bottom of your profile, so the right customers can find you.

Starting in-house is definitely a good idea if you can - I know from experience. Meeting up with colleagues and exchanging experience is also very valuable.

Best of luck!
Collapse

Zea_Mays
Michele Fauble
Marlen Serikbay

Marlen Serikbay
Marlen Serikbay
Kazakhstan
Local time: 05:59
English to Kazakh
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Just a Degree is not enough Jun 20

Thank you all for your answers, I will answer them one by one.
I tried to contact a few translation agencies around a year ago, but back then I didn't get any offers. I'm not sure if the situation would be any different now.

About learning how to walk before running, I have one question: How can I sail off steadily?
I don't feel like having a bachelor's translation degree alone will let me get a job. I don't know if it was any different in the past, but without at le
... See more
Thank you all for your answers, I will answer them one by one.
I tried to contact a few translation agencies around a year ago, but back then I didn't get any offers. I'm not sure if the situation would be any different now.

About learning how to walk before running, I have one question: How can I sail off steadily?
I don't feel like having a bachelor's translation degree alone will let me get a job. I don't know if it was any different in the past, but without at least some expertise, it's unlikely to get job offers. The plan to get to work only after getting a degree does not seem like a wise option for me.

Personally, I hope to translate business and legal texts, but my works until now doesn't include these fields. I changed my profile according to your advice, is it looking any better now?

Once again, thank you all for your bits of advice.
Collapse

Mario Chávez
Mario Chávez
United States
Local time: 20:59
Member (Jun 2024)
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is a long road to get established Jun 20

Marlen Serikbay wrote:

Are there any issues with my Profile or CV? Is there something I need to improve to be a more viable option for potential employers? How can I become someone more, than just a general-purpose translator?
As I view translation as the way I want to earn my living, I naturally want to get as many opportunities to improve before finishing my degree. I'd like to hear opinions and suggestions from you, what should I do to reach my goals? Thank you all in advance

Hi, Marlen,

After just 18-20 months of working on and off on translation projects, I was also struggling to get established, that is, recognized and sought after by existing and new clients. For me, however, the ride was easier because (a) I was living in New York City in the 90s and (b) clients and prospects called on the phone.

Have you opened a free account/profile on LinkedIn? That's one step I would recommend next. Then get clients to post recommendations on your profile.

Cheers,

Mario Chávez
CAD software translator, memoQ user

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Add some keywords - and mention areas you are studying Jun 22

If you look at other people's profiles, you will find some have several lines of subject areas and phrases from their fields of interest right at the bottom, where you just have:
Keywords: English, Kazakh, localization, translation, interpreting, proofreading

Read the business papers for terminology there. The Guardian is free online, and you can make use of that. (They are grateful for donations from those who can afford to give).

Then add to your profile that your CPD (continuing professional development) includes self-study in the areas you feel you can handle. Exam certificates are not enough, as you say, but real knowledge helps!

I would be cautious about saying you do NOT use AI etc. The search engines pick this up as positive! For a short while I explained that I am not a Danish State Authorized Translator, but could refer to colleagues, and received lots of enquiries requiring a State Authorized Translator!

Some colleagues are finding that AI is not only our enemy - when they know how, they can use it as a tool. That is probably going to be very normal in the future, although not all of us are ready for it!

Marlen Serikbay

Zea_Mays
Zea_Mays  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Strive after becoming more than good Jun 22

In today's translation landscape there are so many other "translators" you'll have to compete with at the basis, that you need to aim for the top of the pyramid. That's the place of the few.
So be more than good, offer top services, perhaps specialize in something exotic, go into a particular niche, and look for ways to add value.
Then learn how to introduce yourself, how to market yourself and your services with words.
That way, you'll work (not necessarily) less but for bette
... See more
In today's translation landscape there are so many other "translators" you'll have to compete with at the basis, that you need to aim for the top of the pyramid. That's the place of the few.
So be more than good, offer top services, perhaps specialize in something exotic, go into a particular niche, and look for ways to add value.
Then learn how to introduce yourself, how to market yourself and your services with words.
That way, you'll work (not necessarily) less but for better rates, instead of competing with the masses for poorly paid poor work.

(Take into account the current difficult economic situation, things may be better next year).
Collapse

Marlen Serikbay

Vijay Anand
Vijay Anand
India
Local time: 06:29
English to Tamil
+ ...
How to become the best translator Jun 23

Buddy it's great that you're dedicated to becoming a better translator. Here are a few ideas which I used to improvise myself in to freelancing translation consultant:

Profile and CV: Make sure your profile is complete with clear, concise information about your skills, experience, and languages. Highlight your 1.5 years of freelance work very clearly which are areas you're strong.

Specialize: Consider specializing in a niche (e.g., medical, legal, technical translatio
... See more
Buddy it's great that you're dedicated to becoming a better translator. Here are a few ideas which I used to improvise myself in to freelancing translation consultant:

Profile and CV: Make sure your profile is complete with clear, concise information about your skills, experience, and languages. Highlight your 1.5 years of freelance work very clearly which are areas you're strong.

Specialize: Consider specializing in a niche (e.g., medical, legal, technical translation). Specialization can make you stand out among other competitive bids

Portfolio: Build a portfolio with sample translations. Even volunteer work can showcase your skills.

Networking: Join translator groups and forums. Networking can lead to job opportunities and valuable advice.

Continuous Learning: Keep improving your skills through courses and certifications.

Stay motivated and keep improving. You’re on the right track!

Sincere
Vijay
Collapse

Marlen Serikbay
Christine Andersen

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 07:59
English to Thai
+ ...
More information Jun 25

Based on the information you've provided, here are some thoughts and suggestions to help improve your prospects as a translator:

Specialization: Consider developing expertise in specific fields or industries. This can make you more attractive to clients looking for specialized knowledge. For example, you could focus on legal, medical, technical, or literary translation.
Certification: Look into professional certifications in your language pairs. These can boost your credibilit
... See more
Based on the information you've provided, here are some thoughts and suggestions to help improve your prospects as a translator:

Specialization: Consider developing expertise in specific fields or industries. This can make you more attractive to clients looking for specialized knowledge. For example, you could focus on legal, medical, technical, or literary translation.
Certification: Look into professional certifications in your language pairs. These can boost your credibility and marketability.
Portfolio: Build a strong portfolio showcasing your best work. This could include samples of different types of translations you've done.
Networking: Join professional translator associations and attend industry events. This can help you make connections and learn about job opportunities.
Continuous learning: Stay updated with the latest translation technologies and tools. Familiarity with CAT tools is often a plus for many clients.
Client feedback: If you've completed jobs on freelance websites, ensure you're collecting and showcasing positive feedback from clients.
Marketing: Improve your online presence. This could include a professional website, active social media profiles, or a blog about translation topics.
Rates: Ensure your rates are competitive but also reflect your skills and experience. Underpricing can sometimes make clients wary of quality.
Niche languages: Your knowledge of Kazakh could be a unique selling point. There may be fewer translators offering this language, which could give you an edge in certain markets.
Tailor your profile: Ensure your ProZ profile and CV highlight your strengths, specializations, and unique selling points.
Proactive approach: Don't just wait for job postings. Reach out to potential clients or agencies directly.
Quality assurance: Emphasize your commitment to quality. Consider implementing a personal quality assurance process and highlight this to potential clients.

Would you like me to elaborate on any of these points or discuss any specific aspect of your career development in more detail?
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to become an established translator?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »