Thread poster: Ana Moirano
Ana Moirano
Ana Moirano
Local time: 09:56
SITE STAFF
Jun 3

Back to the playground 1

Hi members,

Submissions are now open in the latest ProZ.com translation contest, Back to the playground. Source texts are available in English, Spanish, Italian and Portuguese.

Let's have fun while doing what we love: translating!

See the contest by clicking on the link above and submit your entry. Don't delay!

Happy translating!

Ana
Contest Organizer
ProZ.com

Narendra Patel

Denis Fesik
Denis Fesik
Local time: 15:56
English to Russian
+ ...
Last night Jun 4

At about 1 am (do people ever do such things at any other time?), I came up with a translation for the Eng piece, and it came together ever so nicely. I could polish it a bit later, but all in all, I liked it. Checked out my language pair on the list, and it was Members Only. This thing doesn't sell me membership, thank you very much. I can't think of any other good uses for membership, so, in the end, nobody will get to read my translation because it only exists in my head. No big deal

Stepan Konev
Christopher Schröder
Zea_Mays
P.L.F. Persio
IrinaN

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Thank you for your feedback, Denis Jun 4

I'm glad that you liked the English source text so as to work on a translation --source text selection takes time-- and I'm sorry that you spent time on preparing a translation before knowing that ProZ.com translation contests are, in general, member-only. In a few cases, where the ProZ.com member population does not appear to support competition in a given language pair, entry submission may be opened up to non-members as well, but in general entry submission is limited to ProZ.com members. Non... See more
I'm glad that you liked the English source text so as to work on a translation --source text selection takes time-- and I'm sorry that you spent time on preparing a translation before knowing that ProZ.com translation contests are, in general, member-only. In a few cases, where the ProZ.com member population does not appear to support competition in a given language pair, entry submission may be opened up to non-members as well, but in general entry submission is limited to ProZ.com members. Non-members can participate in the qualification and final voting rounds though.

This is so because ProZ.com translation contests provide a means for professional translators to show what they can do and earn visibility among potential clients. So, while members have fun participating, they know they also gain exposure, not to mention those who win in their top language pairs and receive a badge and a certificate!

So, if you ever change your mind and decide to invest in visibility at ProZ.com, and you have the opportunity to participate in a ProZ.com translation contest, we'd love to count with your proposed translation of any source text. If not, that's fine. You can still support colleagues who participate with your vote.

Thanks again!

Lucia
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Unhelpful but approach Jun 4

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:
In a few cases, where the ProZ.com member population does not appear to support competition in a given language pair, entry submission may be opened up to non-members as well, but in general entry submission is limited to ProZ.com members.

I can’t believe ProZ chooses to limit participation when these competitions routinely don’t attract enough interest for winners to be chosen in most language pairs, thus wasting nearly everyone’s time. Why not reward people for participating rather than putting them off? Why not do something to get more votes and interest?

Bad luck, Denis.

Stepan Konev
P.L.F. Persio
Christel Zipfel

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Thank you, Christopher Jun 4

Naturally, we encourage everyone, members and non-members, to participe with entries, ratings and votes. However, it's members' investment that pays for the exposure of ProZ.com translation contests and the maintenance of the contest platform.

Lucia

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Your duty to your members Jun 5

Lucia Leszinsky wrote:

Naturally, we encourage everyone, members and non-members, to participe with entries, ratings and votes. However, it's members' investment that pays for the exposure of ProZ.com translation contests and the maintenance of the contest platform.

Lucia

I think you’re missing the point Lucia. As a paying member I think my money should be used to make the competitions work and not waste so much of people’s time.

I haven’t seen one effort from ProZ to try to encourage voting after the last competition crash-landed. if you can’t make them work, you should stop doing them. What was it Einstein said about making the same mistake over and over again?

Barbara Carrara
Christel Zipfel
Zea_Mays
Dan Lucas
P.L.F. Persio
Mirko Mainardi

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Submissions now open for the 33rd translation contest: Back to the playground

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »