Weird emails regarding video data collection projects - are these permitted on ProZ?
Thread poster: Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 7

I keep getting emails (via ProZ mail) from different companies regarding taking videos.

I've been reporting them as spam, but they keep sending them (at least one every few days). Is this type of job request permitted on ProZ? Is it real or just a way for them to collect your bank account and tax information?

It doesn't seem as though they have anything to do with translation or languages and are just taking advantage of an easy source of freelancers. It's kind of insu
... See more
I keep getting emails (via ProZ mail) from different companies regarding taking videos.

I've been reporting them as spam, but they keep sending them (at least one every few days). Is this type of job request permitted on ProZ? Is it real or just a way for them to collect your bank account and tax information?

It doesn't seem as though they have anything to do with translation or languages and are just taking advantage of an easy source of freelancers. It's kind of insulting how they believe that professional translations would be interested in this kind of "work".

And it concerns age discrimination as people older than 64 are not permitted to participate.

Here's the latest example:

"We are currently looking for participants for our new project.

Project Description:

Language: English

Estimated start date of the project: Ongoing, (Project will start
this week).

Project Description : This is a moderated video data collection
project. We will collect 5-20 second video clips of people, pets,
and objects in Cinematic mode.

Faces and audio are the only accepted PII.

Each short video actions will be specified in a “protocol
sheet”.

Diverse locations (Indoor/Outdoor) & Lighting conditions: Sunlight
morning, directional light, etc.

Demographic information needed: Gender; Age; Ethnicity; Skin tone
(Fitzpatrick Scale).

-Be willing and able to participate in the Study procedures
described in the Consent (ICF required)

-Be 18 years of age or older younger than 64.

-Be comfortable performing the action asked of you.

-For videos with pets, not have an allergy to the type of pet that
is in the video.

Disclaimer: This is a Resource/Vendor information form. Your
information will be utilized for Translation and Localization
businesses only."

[Edited at 2024-06-07 18:03 GMT]
Collapse

Christian Noriega Lopez
Michele Fauble
Zea_Mays
Barbara Carrara
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida

Christian Noriega Lopez
Christian Noriega Lopez
Mexico
Local time: 08:44
Spanish
+ ...
agree Jun 7

It is most likely scam if it doesn't match with any notification on your profile

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:44
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Videos Jun 7

I remember receiving such email message once or twice but I did not take it seriously simply because the pay was not commensurate with the effort required to take such videos at all.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:44
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Similar job offer Jun 8

ATIL KAYHAN wrote:

I remember receiving such email message once or twice but I did not take it seriously simply because the pay was not commensurate with the effort required to take such videos at all.

And the pay was 10.50 USD per hour.
I'd rather flip burgers at McDonalds in California. They'd pay me 20 USD per hour (minimum wage in California).

ATIL KAYHAN

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:44
Spanish to English
+ ...
Me too and furthermore Jun 10

Almost daily, I get emails requesting services I don't offer; I have assumed they were legitimate, seeking video and sound recordings for some kind of AI or robot projects. However, I can't figure out why they are getting sent my way.

I also get any number job offers for work in languages I've never even heard of---today it was Maithili---meanwhile, when I log into proz.com, I see jobs in my languages, requiring my actual skills, that weren't emailed to me.

I contacted
... See more
Almost daily, I get emails requesting services I don't offer; I have assumed they were legitimate, seeking video and sound recordings for some kind of AI or robot projects. However, I can't figure out why they are getting sent my way.

I also get any number job offers for work in languages I've never even heard of---today it was Maithili---meanwhile, when I log into proz.com, I see jobs in my languages, requiring my actual skills, that weren't emailed to me.

I contacted Support, but they couldn't help me figure out what, if anything, I'm doing wrong. I have been a member here for over fifteen years, and these odd offers are a relatively new phenomenon---maybe in the last six months or so. It's a strange new world out there, so I just keep on keeping on.

[Edited at 2024-06-10 11:19 GMT]
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:44
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Jessica Jun 11

Many of us have complained for a while about not receiving any or only occasional notifications of jobs in our language combinations, and the response from Proz staff has been for months “Please be patient”…

Be-patient

Christopher Schröder
ibz

Laura Kingdon
Laura Kingdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:44
Member (2015)
French to English
+ ...
Not those projects, but similar Jun 11

I haven't had emails about the type of video project you mention, but I have in the past had many for similar low-paid data-related work that was well outside the translation field, e.g. collecting and scanning receipts. I reported one such project (I don't remember exactly what it was, but it had nothing to do with translation) as spam and was told by the site admin that it wasn't spam, so I haven't bothered reporting any more. I just block the agencies sending them, although that won't help if... See more
I haven't had emails about the type of video project you mention, but I have in the past had many for similar low-paid data-related work that was well outside the translation field, e.g. collecting and scanning receipts. I reported one such project (I don't remember exactly what it was, but it had nothing to do with translation) as spam and was told by the site admin that it wasn't spam, so I haven't bothered reporting any more. I just block the agencies sending them, although that won't help if they're coming from different agencies.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Weird emails regarding video data collection projects - are these permitted on ProZ?

Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »