Is searching the web harder now than it was before?
Thread poster: Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:56
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
Jul 2

Do you have the feeling that it is getting harder to get to what you're searching for on the web? As translators we should know our stuff, but sometimes it's good to search for something specific or look for something on the internet to make sure you match what your client intends. It seems that because of the way things are done at the moment, conflicting interests may mean that it is harder to get to the exact answer you were looking for.

The ins and outs of this are discussed in
... See more
Do you have the feeling that it is getting harder to get to what you're searching for on the web? As translators we should know our stuff, but sometimes it's good to search for something specific or look for something on the internet to make sure you match what your client intends. It seems that because of the way things are done at the moment, conflicting interests may mean that it is harder to get to the exact answer you were looking for.

The ins and outs of this are discussed in this video by Gamers Nexus and Level1 techs, I recommend you watch it. It’s not explained in too complicated terms, and it is very informative. https://youtu.be/-vMKm44ypFY?si=JTw_KeSthEDIFo45
Collapse

Aurélien ARPAZ
Jonna Meeuwissen
SirReaL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 22:56
French to English
+ ...
No, not really Jul 2

Sorry, I don't have 26 minutes to watch that video, but in my opinion, the only truly significant change to worse in Google happened looong ago with the abandonment of search wildcards (other than "*" for whole words that still remains). I don't like the search engine trying to second-guess me, but this has been going on for quite some time, too. Maybe I am not seeing any changes these days because I never formulate queries in the human language: instead of "What is the population of Ecuador?" I... See more
Sorry, I don't have 26 minutes to watch that video, but in my opinion, the only truly significant change to worse in Google happened looong ago with the abandonment of search wildcards (other than "*" for whole words that still remains). I don't like the search engine trying to second-guess me, but this has been going on for quite some time, too. Maybe I am not seeing any changes these days because I never formulate queries in the human language: instead of "What is the population of Ecuador?" I would enter "Ecuador population". I also routinely use quotation marks for literal search, minus sign for exclusion, site: keyword for specific sites and Verbatim mode for filtering the garbage.Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Zea_Mays
Christopher Schröder

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same here Jul 3

Anton Konashenok wrote:

Sorry, I don't have 26 minutes to watch that video, but in my opinion, the only truly significant change to worse in Google happened looong ago with the abandonment of search wildcards (other than "*" for whole words that still remains). I don't like the search engine trying to second-guess me, but this has been going on for quite some time, too. Maybe I am not seeing any changes these days because I never formulate queries in the human language: instead of "What is the population of Ecuador?" I would enter "Ecuador population". I also routinely use quotation marks for literal search, minus sign for exclusion, site: keyword for specific sites and Verbatim mode for filtering the garbage.

Yes, I use the same search techniques and I have already configured my computer etc. to see less ads. It may be different too depending on where you live on the planet. So, we may not be affected too much, especially if we already have seasoned search methods
The video refers to targeted result being sometimes featured on page two so you get more ad exposure. That would be interesting to see what others experience - if at all -.
Thanks!

Anton Konashenok
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Jul 3

[Edited at 2024-07-03 17:01 GMT]

Anton Konashenok
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
No ads for me Jul 3

Philippe Locquet wrote:
The video refers to targeted result being sometimes featured on page two so you get more ad exposure.

Thanks to NoScript and uBlock Origin with several filter lists installed in my Firefox, I see no ads at all, even on the most ad-littered sites. Well, maybe one or two a week.

[Edited at 2024-07-03 17:01 GMT]

Daryo
Hans Lenting

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Changes Jul 3

Having to click on “tools” to see the number of hits for a word or phrase is a recent PITA.

Wildcards within a word were very handy way back but I’ve learnt to live without it.

The AI algorithm isn’t affecting my work searches noticeably. In fact some of the suggested alternative searches brighten my day considerably.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Baran Keki

Anton Konashenok
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Forgot to mention 02:30

Oh yes, forgot to mention another useful browser extension, it's called Highlight or Hide Search Engine Results and allows me to hide search results for sites that have repeatedly proven useless, such as linguee.* or informer.com.

Hans Lenting
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
This one? 07:39

Anton Konashenok wrote:

Oh yes, forgot to mention another useful browser extension, it's called Highlight or Hide Search Engine Results and allows me to hide search results for sites that have repeatedly proven useless, such as linguee.* or informer.com.

Do you mean this one: Block or Highlight Search Engine Results?

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I haven't watched the video but I have similar conclusions 10:03

Searching the web has become more difficult. One of the big factors is that huge part of content has moved from forums like this one, which are open to search engines, to various social media portals which are usually not indexed by search engines.

I also concur with Christopher and the issues he mentions in his post.

Stanislaw

Anton Konashenok
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Hide, block, same difference :-) 12:00

Hans Lenting wrote:

Do you mean this one: Block or Highlight Search Engine Results?

My browser still shows it as "Highlight or Hide...", but it seems to be the same, at least it's been written by the same author.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is searching the web harder now than it was before?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »